Monday, August 25, 2008

Scrapbooking, I NEED Help!

I feel like such a slacker. I am so far behind on my scrapbooking that it isn't even funny. It is always on my mind and I feel so guilty about it. I really could use some advice. Let me share with you my problems and questions:
Problem A:
Lack of Space
I really don't have room that I can use for scrapbooking. The only time I have is while the girls are sleeping, otherwise they will get into everything. By the time I get everything out and get an idea it's time for them to wake up. So I have to pack everything up and put it away again.
Problem B:
Lack of Creativity
I love scrapbooking, and I especially love a finished project, but I lack the creativity to get a page done fast. It takes me forever to come up with an idea (even when I'm looking at idea books.)
Problem C:
How many?
Is it better to do a family book, a book for each child, or do both? If you do just a family book then there really isn't anything for the kids to have as their own. However, if I do books just for the kids then I don't have anything for me. Then if I do both that's double the work and double the price.
Problem D:
Digital?
It seems like a lot of people are going to digital scrapbooking these days, but how do you know what's best for you? What program, where do you get the pages printed, is it less expensive or more? I do love making pages the "old fashioned" way, but as I stated earlier there are problems with that. Plus, I really haven't tried the digital way so maybe I would like that just as much.

I really could use some help. Give me all of your expertise. I am ready to listen and learn. Let me know what my options are and what works best for you , and why. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

6 comments:

Malia said...

I HATE to scrapbook, but is that really a surprise? So here is my advice. . . . I make a yearly DVD of pictures and videos put to music. Then we actually watch them, and I make copies for grandparents and family members for Christmas. Good Luck in whatever you do. I know you, and it will be the most perfect plan in the universe!!!

The Heaton's said...

I am in the same boat as you! I just never have the time! I really do love the digital pages! My neighbor is a huge scrapbooker and she does the digital pages. She says it really not that expensive! I will ask her more questions and get back with you!

Taunya said...

We have had many conversations about this one. I still haven't figured out what to do yet. The main problem is finding the time. I am no help.

Bryce and Candice Blood Family said...

I read this post awhile ago and didn't think I had any helpful advice. I am in the same vote as you! I have thought about it and do I have a tiny bit of advice. If you like "traditional" scrapbooking stop shopping for supplies. You can find a million things you love but when you buy them they get stored with the rest of your stuff at home. Pick some pictures and scrapbook them. I loved crop night at a local scrapbook store in Mississippi because I took a few pictures and only bought the stuff I needed to make a couple of layouts in a night. I would spend less than $10 for the night and have cute pages with everything matching. Plus, they usually have tons of tools for you to use. I am not a big girl's night out person but I did have fun with the other girls too. Hope this helps! Remember you don't have to scrapbook chronologically either...

MerriLynn said...

Well.... I am totally going digital. You know my kids and how crazy and wild they are. I hadn't done traditional pages since....I don't know how long! I have downloaded a 30 day trial of photoshop elements. After 30 days I don't know how much it is to buy, but I love it and I'm buying it. Then I find blogs on the internet that give you free scrapbooking kits,(which I'm starting to create myself) either already made for you, or you can put it together yourself. I haven't really looked into printing your pages yet, but you can check out blurb.com I hear they are cheap. But there are so many cute and free kits out there. Or you can buy a huge kit really cheap. Any questions, give me a call.

MerriLynn said...

Me again. When you do digital, you can print it out as often as you want, and then you have one and your kids each have one.

Go to
http://summertimedesigns.blogspot.com
and she has a ton of way cute free kits.