I know Hannah isn't even three yet, but with a new school year starting I can't help but think about when it comes time for us to begin that new part of life. I have some questions that I would like you to help me with. It's all about preschool. Here they are:
Do you recommend one or two years of preschool?
What requirements/curriculum do you look for in a preschool?
What is a good price? (per month)
How many days a week do you like and for how many hours?
Do you go check out a typical day at different schools before signing up for one?
What do you recommend they know before going to preschool (how to recognize and/or spell name, how many colors, how many shapes, what to count to, alphabet, etc.)
I'm probably analyzing this way too much but it just wouldn't be like me not to over analyze it. Thank you so much for all of your help. As you can clearly see I need all the help I can get.
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
17 comments:
Oh Tara! Isn't sad how quickly they grow?! We are only doing one year of preschool before kindergarten. Brylin's was free, a state program in Mississippi and we loved her experience. She went 2 days a week for 4 hours. The curriculum was very relaxed, they would do units like the ocean. All week they would learn about it by reading, crafting, etc. They had an awesome classroom that was very hands on. As part of the program they would test them for preparedness for kindergarten making sure they were physically ready (balance, hoping, running, throwing, etc) and educationally prepared (writing letters, colors, numbers, months, days of the week, etc) I also liked that they did things like "presentation" where they would have the kids do tricks for each other, it was really organized play but it helped them gain the confidence to perform and present. Honestly, I think preschool is mostly about learning to be away from mom and among peers before the big transition! If you love the teacher, you'll be happy. Good luck!
Tara! I am so glad that you found me! I love catching up with old friends! Your family is adorable! I am not much help with the preschool thing, but I have been thinking about it too!
Your blog looks so cute. I found the Hamblins blog, but it has been a while since she has posted anything, but I still left them a comment. Also, will you tell Taunya that I got her comment, but I still can't get to her blog because I need to be invited. My e-mail address is joniplatt@hotmail.com. I have found some of our cousins, if you look at my blog. I am in the process of getting more. If you know of any will you send them to me! As far as preschool goes, I sent Carter at three and he loved it. It was more of a time for him to get out and play and learn to play with other kids. I liked sending him for two years. Good luck!
Are you going to put Hannah is preschool this year?
I can only say that Tara went to Preschool for two years and now loves school. Bailey did preschool for 1 year and hates school. I really don't think that this has too much to do with the preschool as the girls personalities. They were both in the district preschool. If you have any concerns about speech or learning disabilities, you can have them tested. This is free if you qualify. Tara was a main streamer, Bailey was in for speech. I can tell you what they like kids to know before kindergarten if you want. I do think that it is a good oportunity for the kids to get out and learn social skills, sharing, making friends and other things of the sort. I hear that you are good with algebra, I just spent the night being stumped with Jessica's homework. Good luck on preschool, it only gets harder from here.
You, over-analyze? No! J/K. Well, when Evan gets to that age, you'll be the first one I call for advice.
Ok, so this is my anal perspective: I called the elementary school where Tayden will be going last year and asked what they expect to see kindergartners doing when they start school. I took their list and started working on those things myself. I only put him in one year of preschool, seeing as I could do the 3 year old stuff myself. He loves preschool and is already at the level they want at kindergarton, which is surprising to me! Good Luck!!! So much to worry about!
I'm glad you posted that because I got some good ideas for Maddie. I'd glad I'm not the only person who has all these questions ! Good luck!
Hey Tara! I love your post because I was totally there at one point myself! I didn't quite know what to do? I put my kids into a three day a week preschool. I only did one year of "official" preschool before kindergarten. Makell(just turned 3) is in a preschool/play group now where they focus on senses, seasons,different animal groups(farm animals, zoo animals, animal that live in the water, ect). They learn and sing songs and many other fun things! She absolutely loves it and it's great because their attention span is so short and they get to do a lot of active/hands on activities. I think it is great for the social part as well! I was worried that if I put them in two years of "official" preschool they might become board and uninterested. Some of our friends have put their kids in two years of preschool and have really liked it. Good luck!!
Hi Tara.
I don't have a good perspective on kids and preschool...seeing how I don't have any kids. I just know one of the best things to do when you have questions or concerns is to make it a matter of prayer.
Your family is so beautiful! I am so glad you created a blog and that I get to hear what you are up to all the way out here in Oklahoma.
Although we would love to come and hang out with everyone, we can't come this year:( But if we were going we would have loved to take your picture!! Thanks for the compliments!
Hi Tara!
We put Madyson in preschool for a semester to build her social skills and she absolutely loved it! She's not in it this year but every kid is different. I think it's a good idea for a couple days a week to prepare them for the bigger picture.
Hope you are doing well!!
Tara, since Jared procrastinates so bad, what's your email address?
Hey Tara, I found you off the Davis High blog and it's been forever. Your family is absolutely beautiful and I love your little girls. I hope things are going well for you!!!
Sheridan
I can relate to "over analyzing"! But it's ok to be thinking and planning. I think that one year is sufficient, but I know people who do 2 for the social aspect and that's cool, too, if it's more fun and less "school". When I planned the curriculum for my school I asked the Kindergarten teacher what they would like for kids to be prepared with and what she said was that they really didn't like for kids to come in already knowing how to read because that's their job to teach it and then the kids would be bored all year. So, very beginning letter recognition is good (not necessarily every letter and every sound), numbers, colors, fine motor skills (i.e. using crayons, scissors, etc.) and really just getting used to sitting for small periods of time and following simple directions. I think that visiting the school is a great idea. You just get a feeling for things, ya know? And it definately shouldn't be expensive or a burden on the budget! Honestly, I really don't think that preschool is an absolute necessity and that your child will not be successful in school is they don't have it! We don't really teach anything that you couldn't do at home, but it is nice for the kids to start to learn how to behave in a "classroom" setting. Also, I heard that Tremonton Library has themed kits that you can check out and do with your kids at home. (I have a friend who does that.)
Hope this helps! Good luck and don't stress!! You're a great mom and I'm sure she'll be alright with whatever you decide!
P.S. Love your Halloween countdown! I'm gonna copy!
Hey Tara!
It's nice to see your cute family. I'm going to put you on our blog. Hope that's okay. As for preschool, I've done something different for each child. This year Zoe is in a mommy preschool. There are four little girls, and each mom takes a turn teaching. She goes two days a week for two hours. She loves it.
You're too funny! You know me, I just do what ever. Mishae went for 2years, B and T for 1. Ashlin...I just taught her myself with Bailey, and only for about 1/2 year. They are all doing very well. I think if they are behind when they first start school, it doesn't take too long for them to catch up. Probably before they get out of kinder. And if they are ahead, then they get a little bored and have to slow down a bit. Unless you want them to skip a grade, which my sister does. She wants them all to be smarter then anyone else, and hurry through school. I say relax and go with the flow. But that is just me. I think you are such an awesome mom and whatever you do, your girls will be wonderful, and great. Luv ya!
Post a Comment