Thursday, February 5, 2009

An Experience to Remember, or to Forget

A few weeks ago we took Hannah to the dentist for the first time. Let me tell you what an experience that was! Jared got his teeth cleaned first because we thought that would soften her up for the whole experience. Plus she's come with me a few times to the orthodontist and watched him work on me. I thought she would have no problem. Sounds like a great idea, right....wrong! I did not know a three year old could close their mouths so tight. She absolutely refused to let anyone near her teeth. Finally after much coaxing and bribing she let the dental assistant (who was so sweet and patient) count her teeth with the "special little mirror". However, when it came time for the dentist to take a look, she locked that mouth even tighter than before. During some screams of "NO, I DON'T WANT TO!" the dentist got a little tiny peek. Things are great, by the way.
I was so worried that we traumatized the poor little dear from ever stepping into a dentist office ever again. Fortunately, a few days ago Hannah helped to extinguish those fears. She came over to me with socks on her hands, she was holding straws, and then she asked me to go lie down on the pillow on the floor. A little hesitant, I did what I was asked. Then, in the cutest and sweetest voice asked me to open my mouth. I was shocked and really worried; I had no idea what she was going to do to me. Then she assured me that if I opened my mouth then I would get a treat and a prize. I then realized that she was the dentist, I was her patient, and the straws were her tools. I couldn't help but laugh at her new game. She then proceeded to take pictures and check my teeth. My prize was a piece of paper.
Now everyday we play dentist. She has quite a talent may I add. Hopefully with help from her new found hobby she won't be scared of the dentist. I know it's a long shot but a mother can always dream!

8 comments:

birdbabies said...

that's adorable! i love that she was so observant at the dentist and you being so willing to play along will probably help her to see that it's okay for her to do the same at the dentist.

Saddie said...

I'm afraid Tomie did about as well at his dentist appointment last month - the funny thing is, his dentist is my brother! ha ha!

Isn't it crazy the ideas kids pick up in a day. It does take some amazing mommy skills to realize what they are trying to do as they copy their world. That must make you an amazing mommy! Congratulations!

Matt Hale said...

I used to have to be medicated for my mom to take me to the dentist - so I completely get it!

Taunya said...

That is so funny! I love that cute little Hannah.

The Heaton's said...

What a funny and cute story! My kids have done really well at the dentist but Adam still gets really nervious when he has to go:)

MerriLynn said...

That is really cute. We had the same experience with Korban, but the dentist or assistant didn't get one tiny peek. I was by myself at first, then finally called Chad to come home from work and help me. It didn't work. The dentist still hasn't seen his teeth. We'll have to go put him out for any one to go in his mouth. Yay!

Mechelle said...

That is pretty funny! You are such a good sport- it always makes you a little nervous when they want you to be the patient!

Nana and Papa S said...

Sounds like another one of those "wait until you get your own child just like you" moments. We used to have to take you to be put out for a visit to the dentist (at the dentist's request). He got tired of you biting him. Those two girls are so cute. We love them so much!!