As much as I hate to do a post focusing on myself, there have been some very thoughtful people asking about the latest with my ear. On Wednesday I had my final surgery, hopefully. This surgery was to fuse the bones back together in my right ear drum so that my hearing would be restored. I still have bandages on and there's packing to hold everything together. It'll take about a week to know exactly how much hearing I have back.
For anyone who is completely lost I should probably tell the whole story. Right after Hannah was born I was having a lot of draining from my ear. (Sick, huh?) I went to an Ear, Nose, and Throat specialist who suggested that I have tubes put in. After the tubes were in I was still having some problems, so the doctor suggested that I have another surgery to clean out my ear completely. It turned out that I had a growth in my ear, called a Cholesteatoma, that had begun to eat away at my ear drum and tissue within my ear. The doctor had removed the growth, which was the size of a silver dollar, and repaired the damage.
Then I became pregnant with our little Amelia. For some reason while I'm pregnant the side effects of the Cholesteatoma don't appear. About six weeks after having Amelia the draining was back. I went back to the doctor and he suggested that we do a CT scan to see if the growth had returned. The CT scan had confirmed that the growth had in fact come back.
In February I had another surgery. What was supposed to be a two hour out-patient procedure turned into six hours in the operating room, a night in the hospital, and a horrible two week recovery. The growth had pretty much taken up my entire ear canal. It had destroyed part of the bones in my ear drum, again, and was pushing against the membrane that separates the ear canal from the brain. If we hadn't had removed it when we did then it would have only been a matter of weeks before it would have been into my brain and caused some very serious damage. It did cause some side effects with my equilibrium. It takes just a second or two longer for me to balance when my focus changes quickly.
So, now we are back to the present. The surgery lasted four hours and I was able to come home that same day. The recovery has been so much better than last time. I've had very little pain and I've just been tired. The best part is that the doctor reported that there was no more growth and I should be able to have some if not most of my hearing back.
I just want to say thank you for all of your thoughts and concern. I especially want to say thank you to Jared for all of his endless love and support throughout this whole ordeal. I couldn't have done it without him. Thank you to Hannah for crying with me about "mommies big ouchee." Thank you to my mom for watching the kids when I've had doctor appointments and surgeries. I am so completely blessed to have such a wonderful support system around me. Through this whole trial I have gained such a better appreciation for the sense of hearing. I will never take for granted the precious sound of my little girl's laughter or their cries again. I am much more grateful for the sound of rain or the wind blowing through the trees. I want to express my gratitude to our Father In Heaven for these beautiful sounds and also for the peace and comfort that he has given me.
Thank you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
Hopefully you are done and that things get back to normal! Good luck!
Wow! That has been quite the ordeal for you. I'm sorry that you have had to go through all of that! I hope that things continue to get better. :)
Thank you for sharing the story. I had no idea, and I'm glad things went better this time. I hope everything returns to normal.
Thank you for posting about yourself. We love your family and reading about them because we love you. I am glad that everything appears to be okay, we will pray that your hearing is restored. Sometimes our trials really are a gift and are for our good, I love your testimony of all you have gained through this challenge. Love yous!
I'm so glad this one went so much better! I hope it continues to go well. What a great attitude and perspective you have!
Tara. You are so strong. I am sorry that you have had to go through all of this. I am glad that it went better this time around. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.
so glad to hear you are doing well, i'm glad this surgery went much better than the last. we are so lucky to have the technology we have these days. its truly amazing. so glad youre doing well.
It is nice to hear about you once in while. I mean I love to hear about the girls but you are important too. Glad you are on the healing end of things. Our prayers are with you.
I wish I could have been there to help with your girls or dinners or something, but since I'm 900 miles away, you'll just be in my prayers instead! Good luck in healing!
I'm so excited to see you all soon! Yay!
I heard bits and pieces about your story from family but didn't realize it was so serious! I'm glad that you could have your hearing back and pray that you will continue to heal!
You are so strong and always seem to make things look easy. As Sydney would put it, "Aunt Tara you are tough." You are amazing and we are so proud to have you for our daughter. Love ya!
I am glad to hear that things are looking better. We sure love you and wish we could be there to help out.
Sorry to hear about your illness. Let me know if you need anything. Hope all goes well with you!
I still can't believe that I didn't know about all this until just a few months ago! I wish I had known you had surgery again last week! Poor girl! You'll be in my prayers that you'll recovery quickly and not have any more problems anymore! Love you, girl!
I am so glad everything is getting back to normal for you! I hope all is well! I remember you telling us about it when we were at Grandma and Grandpa's house. You are in out thoughts and prayers!
Hey! I finally got around to checking out your blog! You guys are so cute & are always having so much fun! I had no idea about your ear stuff...hope all goes well there & everything will work out okay!
Hey you...I had no idea. That does not sound like fun at all. It's so crazy what pregnancies do to your body. I hope all is well. Thanks for coming out last week for lunch, it was fun!!!
Wow Tara, I had no idea any of this was going on. Sorry I am such a bad friend! But, I am glad to hear that you are doing well now and will be better at keeping updated - especially now that we have blogger!
I know I already commented on this post but I had to tell you we watched a show about a surgery to remove the same kind of growth from a guys ear on mystery diagnosis the day after reading this. His had grown into his brain but he is okay but how frightening. I am SOO glad you caught yours in time.
Wow! I had no idea- that is an amazing story- and the best part is seeing how truly grateful we all should be for the simple things in life! Good luck- I hope that your hearing comes back!
Wow, I had no idea you were going through all of that! I'm so sorry for all the yucky stuff but so glad that things seem to be on the mend! I'll be praying for your full recovery!
I had no idea! I'm glad that you are doing better. Let me know if you ever need anything. Hopefully you won't have that problem again.
Post a Comment