Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thoughts of Thanks

I Love Thanksgiving!

And not even just for the food. I love getting together with family. I love the spirit of gratitude that is in the air. I love to focus on the many blessings that that I have in my life, and I love to contemplate on all of all the things that I have learned since the previous Thanksgiving.

I thought I would share one of the things that I have gained much appreciation for. Sadly over the years Family Home Evening has not been consistent in our house. We would be really good for a few weeks then it seems like our busy schedules get in the way; along with our excuses.

These past months we have been striving really hard to add FHE into our routine. It hasn't always been convenient, but when is doing the right thing always convenient. Now we can say that FHE has become a part of our lives. It's not just something that we're doing because we probably should. I can see that the girl's love and knowledge of the gospel is increasing every week. Which in turn, is also increasing the testimonies of mom and dad as well.
I must also tell you how grateful I am for the lesson plans that we have been using. The nursery came out with a new manual a few months ago. I went and purchased it at the Distribution Center. We've been using the lessons in the manual for our FHE. I absolutely love it! The lessons are simple, yet, they teach so much about a loving Heavenly Father to the girls, and to us as parents. I highly recommend anybody to look through the book. I think it would be great for most ages. It obviously is wonderful for young children, but I think it gives a great base to go off of for older children as well. Each lesson is completely laid out with songs, activities, scriptures, pictures, and a color/craft idea.

Primary Nursery Manual

Having FHE on a regular basis has brought many blessings into our home. I am so grateful for the spirit that is so much stronger. We are more patient and kind with one another. Our love for each other is growing in ways that couldn't be possible without our family's Monday night ritual. I am grateful that Jared presides over our home as the priesthood leader. I am grateful that Hannah is so excited for Family Home Evening. She always asks when we're doing it and blesses it in her prayers. I am grateful that Amelia is willing to dance with the songs and is learning how to pray. I am grateful that FHE is helping me to become a better mom.
Now if I my, I am asking a small favor from each of you. could you share with me where do you get some of your FHE lessons from? My goal is to have a file drawer full of lesson plans. If if you have any great websites, books, or lessons that you just adore I would love to hear all about them.
I hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving. Travel safe.
(Enjoy the shopping, I know that I will.)

8 comments:

Saddie said...

Thanks for the testimony!
Your family is an inspiration to ours that is still pretty hit and miss with our fhe. We look forward to seeing you guys this week!

rayndrop said...

I agree with you one the new manual. I think it is such a neat book. I was so impressed with it when it came out. I'm going to miss all of you this week. I hope you travel safely!

Mechelle said...

I love your post! We too have been focusing on holding FHE. It has been a blessing in our lives also! I have this cool website to oder FHE packets- it inludes lesson, songs, treats, ect the whole deal. They aren't too expensive and you can keep them forever. www.hatchpatchcreations.com

Michelle said...

Thank you for that beautiful reminder Tara. Even though I don't have children you provided me with some wonderful insights. John and I try to hold FHE, but it can be a little tricky to make it official...with prayer, song, lesson, etc. You are such a great example.

Mubeen said...

Hey Tara! If you don't mind, can you email me your chocolate chip pumpkin cookie recipe? mubeenheaton@yahoo.com

PS. I found the socks! Thanks so much again! xoxo

The Heaton's said...

Hi Tara! I love your post! I have to agree that FHE is crucial for our families! I truly feel that the gospel and FHE is the "glue" that holds us together! We have used this web-site (http://lds.about.com/od/1/LDS_Articles_Lessons_and_Talks.htm) several times to prepare a FHE. I love it because it has activities, crafts, lessons,and many more fun ideas! I also use the friend alot as well!! I love family time and the feeling that it brings into our home. It was great to see you all!

kdance said...

I love you, Tar! YOu are so sweet! I'm totally going to buy that. YOu are an inspiration, consider we NEVER have FHE. I'm such a slacker.

A said...

Tara
Hey it is Amberly (Aidee Jae Photography) I just wanted to double check that you guys got your cd in the mail. Happy Holidays.
Amberly Judy